Jackie Atang, President ExSSA Houston Chapter
November 1st 2017
ExSSA Houston prides itself for being the pioneer chapter of ExSSA USA. With membership numbers that date back to 1995, several years before the birth of ExSSA USA in 2001.
2017 has been a very challenging, yet rewarding year for The Houston Chapter. The chapter has successfully navigated through changing leadership dynamics, changing chapter structure and finally come to the realization that sometimes you must take a step back to jump even further. This dynamic group of women have decided to keep the ExSSA USA flag flying high, understanding that we can achieve more, if we work together.
President: Jackie Atang
Fondly called TGHMT or Texas Gray Haired Mbamba, this energizer bunny was gracious enough to accept to steer the Trendsetter Ship as it recently navigated some turbulent waters. Being a wife, mom, grand mom, entrepreneur and volunteer extraordinaire, this was no easy feat. She’s successfully navigated this position with poise and grace. The chapter with forever be indebted to her.
Treasurer: Prudence Muluh
No organization is complete without a reliable gatekeeper to handle its finances. Nawain Prudence has been that reliable person to ensure that the chapter’s books are kept up to date. Above this, she has been very instrumental in coordinating the chapter’s multiple uniforms and miscellaneous projects.
Secretary/PR: Besona Sikod
Ms. Sikod channels her passion, talent and energy into her dual role of secretary and PR rep. Her tech knowledge and community relationships adequately equip her to take on these important roles. The chapter is grateful for her sacrifice.
Financial Secretary: Alida Welashey
Cool, calm and always collected, Alida has brought her structure and attention to detail to the role of financial secretary. She makes sure our finances, projects and activities are organized and audit worthy. The chapter is grateful for her diligence and sacrifice.
|Vice President||Martha Ngombe Garciafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Secretary||Rose Mbu Besongemail@example.com|
|Vice Secretaries||Ashu Mbi Orock/Diana Tabefirstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com|
|Publicity Relations Officer||Besona Sikodfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Financial Secretary||Besem Ebai Ngassaemail@example.com|
|Social Prefect||Alida Welasheyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Chief Whip||Nkechi Nwokekeemail@example.com|
|Music Prefect||Bessem Obenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Advisers||Jackie Atang/Bessem Obenemail@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org|
The chapter meets on the 3rd Saturday of every month, except August (convention) and December (Christmas). Meeting venue rotates based on member availability and schedule.
The Chapter has undergone a total transformation and change in membership over the past year. We are currently faced with a situation where we have 2 different Sakerette groups in the city of Houston. This change in dynamic has been very difficult and uncomfortable, to say the least, because the Houston chapter was always very close and functioned as a cohesive unit. This notwithstanding, we have been able to rally around members to celebrate good times and sympathize in bad times.
Considering our current situation, we have shifted our focus from fundraising and placed it on bringing the group back together. We are striving to increase our membership and heal our chapter. The goal is to revamp, refocus and restructure the chapter so that it can emerge even stronger and more viable than it was before.
The chapter has realized that part of our ‘raison d’etre’ as ExSSA USA is to make an impact in our respective localities. Therefore, the chapter has adopted several flagship volunteer projects that are carried out annually or as needed. Here is a summary of our volunteer activities for 2017.
• Visit to Fort Bend Women’s’ Shelter in Rosenberg, TX: Every year around Thanksgiving, the chapter makes a trip to the Ft. Ben Women’s shelter to donate much needed supplies to these victims of domestic violence.
• Bunny Drive at Houston Methodist Hospital: As part of the organization’s Impact day initiative, ExSSA Houston partook in a Bunny Drive, organized by the Houston Methodist Hospital. The chapter was able to donate stuffed animals and other supplies to children during their hospital stay.
• Hurricane Harvey Relief: The chapter has been involved individually and collectively in efforts to help victims of the recent Hurricane Harvey that ravaged the city of Houston.
Goals for 2018
• Organic membership growth; encourage new members to join the group
• Organize more volunteer activities in the city of Houston
• Establish closer bonds and ties with other alumni groups in the community.
• Be a more active participant in the Cameroonian community in Houston
• Restore order, decorum and a spirit of sisterhood in the chapter.